Peak Design, makers of popular bags and accessories has partnered with OFFROAM, a car mount producer to release phone mounts built for specific vehicle applications. The collaboration brings Peak Design’s SlimLink technology with OFFROAM’s expertise in creating custom-tuned mounts for a variety of vehicles - the result is an easy-to-install, modern-designed in-vehicle solution for mounting and charging your smartphone.
I’ve had the opportunity to test out the wireless charging mount version in my Bronco for a few weeks now and must say its been the best recent addition to the vehicle. The machined black anodized aluminum is smooth, stable, and simply looks good. I’ve found other mounts to be a bit too aggressive in styling or flimsy in build quality. A couple of vent mounts I’ve tried in the past don’t work well as they block the a/c airflow and just don’t stay attached. The design and versatility of this mount solve those issues.
Using powerful magnets along with a UV-shielded anti-slip pad combined with a Peak Design Case or universal adapter attaches securely and conveniently. I’m told it should work with any MagSafe phone/case, but I’ve only tested it with the Peak Design case, which works fantastic. This test was done using the new iPhone 14 Pro Max so its a bit on the larger/heavier side. I’ve driven through some uneven terrain and bumps without issue, although I haven’t had the chance to truly test it in a real off-road experience this is probably one of the best if not the best magnetic solutions for mounting.
The mount allows for 360-degree positioning so you can place the phone in a location and position (portrait or landscape) as well as the angle that is most desirable for what you’re looking for with the easy to use aluminum ball head that works like a ball head found on most tripods. I tend to use it vertically although it blocks the screen slightly based on my preferred position, it has helped to keep my eyes up and avoid looking down to control apps such as Apple Music or Google Maps from my phone.
The Wireless Charging model includes a 1m USB-C cable and a low-profile 12V auto outlet adapter along with clips for discreet cable routing.
Overall, this is an amazing solution for those looking for a reliable mounting solution for the Bronco. Vehicle-specific mounting (full list below) is a huge upgrade from most universal mounting kits. This is perfect for those looking for a clean design, high-quality, and magnetic charging solution for the new Ford Bronco. The only downside is that I wish it came with one or two more cable clips to tidy things up with the charging cable.
Installing the Peak Design x OFFROAM mount in the Ford Bronco is a simple process that can be completed in just a few minutes.
Here are the steps to install the mount in a Ford Bronco:
1. Find the location for the Clamp which should be installed above the center display and below the dash “hero switches” i.e. trail turn assist switch. This is where the Clamp will be attached to as the base for the mounting system. Using the included allen tool to loosen the screws to provide space for the mount to lock into place.
2. Place the Clamp in the location you want. The Clamp is designed to attach specifically on both the top of the dash’s lip and the underside of the dashboard seam (right above the screen) - make sure its locked into place.
3. You can move the Clamp from the left to right until its in your designed location. Tighten the screws. With the Clamp now mounted securely, take the Arm that attaches to both ballheads on the mount and the base and loosen it slightly. Place this piece on the Clamp’s ballhead and the magnetic mount’s ballhead and tighten. It may help to do one at a time and slightly loosen before fitting the second ballhead.
4. Once the magnetic mount is attached, adjust the position of the Arm. The Arm has a ball joint that allows you to adjust the angle and position of the mount by loosening the ballhead. Be sure not to loosen too much as the weight of the mount will cause it fall out of position.
5. Once the position is adjusted, attach the phone magnetically to the mount. It may take a few tries to get the system exactly how you prefer. I adjusted it so that I had more visibility to the screen after a few drives and at a convenient location.
Test the installation. Before driving, test the installation to ensure that the phone is securely attached and the mount does not move or wobble while driving. If its loose tighten the ballhead.
6. For the Wireless Charging Mount version, you’ll want to select where to connect the included power cable. I opted for the location below the dashboard to keep the cable out of sight. Bronco owners can also select the USB-C outlet found at the top of the dash near the windshield.
7. To keep the cables clean and in place use the provided cable clips. Remove the adhesive backing on the cable clips and adhere to the surface. I placed the cable to the left of the infotainment screen and place one clip on the underside of the dash, one on the bottom of part of the screen, and one underneath that area.
8. Now that the phone is secure, the charging cable attached and in place you’re ready to go.
Wireless Charging Mount: MSRP: $119.95
Peak Design Everyday Case: MSRP: $39.95
|Mount Head: 5.5cm x 5.5cm x 0.7cm (2.2” x 2.2” x 0.3”)|
|Total Height (from dashboard): 3.7cm (varies depending on ballhead position)|
|Base Pad: 3cm x 5cm (1.9” x 2.0”)|
|Ball Diameter: 20mm|
|1x Offroam x Peak Design magnetic charging holder with 20mm ball|
|1x Offroam double socket arm|
|1x Offroam vehicle-specific mounting base with included installation tool.|
|1x Charger plug with 20W USB-C Output|
|1x 1m long USB-C to USB-C charging cable|
|3x Cable management clips|
|● Bronco 2021-2023|
|● Expedition 2018-2021|
|● F-150 2021-2023|
|● F-150 2015-2020|
|● Mustang 2015-2022|
|● Super Duty (F250, F350…) 2017-2021|
|● Gladiator 2019-2023|
|● Grand Cherokee L 2022-2023 - Ready Q1 2023|
|● Grand Cherokee WK2 2019-2022|
|● Grand Cherokee WK2 2014-2019|
|● Wrangler JL 2018-2023|
|● Wrangler JK 2011-2018|
|● Wrangler JK 2007-2010|
|● Sprinter 2019-2023 - Available March 2023|
|● Sprinter 2013-2018 - Available March 2023|
|● Frontier 2022-2023 - Available March 2023|
|● 1500/2500/3500 2014-2018|
|● 1500/2500/3500 2019-2023|
|● 4Runner 2010-2023|
|● Highlander 2014-2019 - Available March 2023|
|● Land Cruiser 70 2007-2023|
|● RAV4 2019-2022|
|● Sequoia 2023|
|● Tacoma 2016-2023|
|● Tacoma 2012-2015|
|● Tacoma 2005-2011|
|● Tundra 2022-2023|
|● Tundra 2014-2021|